nine everyday habits that help the planet

1. What is the single most important thing humanity has to do in the coming years – and what does that mean for me?

The number one goal? Limiting the use of fossil fuels such as oil, carbon and natural gas and replacing them with renewable and cleaner sources of energy, all while increasing energy efficiency.

2. Changing how industries are run or subsidised doesn’t sound like anything I can influence... can I?

You can. Individuals need to exercise their rights both as citizens and as consumers.

3. Other than that, what’s the best daily action I can take?

Going car-free is the number-one most effective action an individual could take. We should choose more efficient vehicles and, whenever possible, switch directly to electric vehicles

4. But isn’t renewable energy extremely expensive?

Actually, renewables like wind and solar are becoming increasingly cheap across the world.

5. Could I make a difference by changing my diet?

That’s a big one, too. In fact, after fossil fuels, the food industry – and in particular the meat and dairy sector – is one of the most important contributors to climate change. Eating mostly plant-based food can contribute in a big way. By reducing your consumption of animal protein by half, you can cut your diet's carbon footprint by more than 40%.

6. Should I be shopping differently?

Most likely. That’s because everything we buy has a carbon footprint, either in the way it is produced or in how it is transported.

7. How harmful are my flying habits?

Planes run on fossil fuels, and we haven’t figured out a scaleable alternative.

8. But if I take fewer flights or eat less meat, that’s just me – how much of a difference can that really make?

Actually, it’s not just you. Social scientists have found that when one person makes a sustainability-oriented decision, other people do too.

9. What if I just can’t avoid that flight, or cut down on driving?

If you simply can’t make every change that’s needed, consider offsetting your emissions with a trusted green project – not a ‘get out of jail free card’, but another resource in your toolbox to compensate that unavoidable flight or car trip.\

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the most boring page on the internet

blog now with devnagari

folding the brick - talent wasted on perfecting crease on glass