Skip to main content

age of empires - II: the conquerors expansion

This video featuring Age of Empires 2 - The Conquerors is a work of inspiration. It is also a kind of fond remembrance for those all-nighters I did on this amazing game around 2000, 2001 and once again later in 2006 (basically my teenage and post-teenage years).

The screenshot grabs in this video are from 2006 summer, when I played and enjoyed the campaigns night after night in Cairo. During the day I used to volunteer at WFP. One morning in a train to Maadi (in barely-slept mood after one such all-nighter with the game), I thought of creating a video using in-game cinematic. Instead of using the saved screen grabs, I had planned to use actual gameplay footage. The original idea was to capture the screen recording of the gameplay, interpolate the frames to around 30fps (I still had to figure out how), and upscale the video resolution to 720p, the go-to resolution of the time.

:)

It simply seemed too ambitious with the machine I had with me.

At that time, I had a desktop computer with NVIDIA's 128 Mb graphic card, Intel Pentium 4 with Hyper-threading, 512 Mb of RAM and a 7200 rpm hard drive - but it was at home back in Kathmandu. Instead, the machine I had with me in Cairo was Acer TravelMate 2410 with 40 Gb 5400 rpm hard drive, 256 Mb of RAM, and 1.2 GHz processor - the system using which I planned to create this video. 

Somehow, if I had really made the planned video back then, I guess it'd have taken me at least three months for a 1-minute video (given that I did successfully interpolate and upscale the in-game video frame-by-frame). But it didn't happen. And in time, the screen-grabs got stowed away and forgotten in a folder somewhere. 

Until today.

Today, I used a very common machine with 2.9 GHz Dual-core Intel i5 processor, 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB solid state drive – to create this video. I didn't use in-game cinematic as originally planned, and also decided to go with those saved screen grabs instead – doing which, today, I was able to complete this video in less than 8 hours. 

 

Also, it'll be relevant to know that Age of Empires-II: Definitive Edition has already been released - with 4K resolution, enhanced graphics, better AI, better video frame-rates and more expansive experience. 

It's definitely time for better gameplay!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

this symbol is called a lemniscate, and other facts

The technical term for your foot "falling asleep" is "taresthesia". "Pins and needles" is really called "paresthesia". Great Britain has invaded about 90% of the world's countries. There's a brand of hand sanitizer called "Maybe You Touched Your Genitals". There was a hoax that the world was ending in 1806 because someone wrote "Christ is coming" on eggs, that were later stuffed into a hen. Gary Numan is actually 13 days older than Gary Oldman. There is a word in the English language with only one vowel, which occurs six times: Indivisibility. Los Angeles's full name is 'El Pueblo de Nuestra la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula'. Polyamorous people have invented a word to indicate the opposite feeling of jealousy - compersion. The Macrocilix maia moth confuses predators with wing patterns that mimic two flies eating bird poop. It even releases a pungent odor to drive home the dec

abort, retry, ignore poem

The infamous Abort, Retry, Ignore message box of Windows, with no option given to close it. Found this classic and fun poem about the "Abort, Retry, Ignore" message. I have been able to trace back the source to Annoyances.org. Here it is: Once upon a midnight dreary, fingers cramped and vision bleary, System manuals piled high and wasted paper on the floor, Longing for the warmth of bed sheets, still I sat there doing spreadsheets. Having reached the bottom line I took a floppy from the drawer, I then invoked the SAVE command and waited for the disk to store, Only this and nothing more. Deep into the monitor peering, long I sat there wond'ring, fearing,
 Doubting, while the disk kept churning, turning yet to churn some more.
 But the silence was unbroken, and the stillness gave no token.
 "Save!" I said, "You cursed mother! Save my data from before!"
 One thing did the phosphors answer, only this and nothing more,
 Just, "Abort

blog now with devnagari

क्या मुझे प्यार है? क्या तुम येह पढ़ सकते हो? और क्या तुम्हारा नाम 'जोकर' है? हिन्दीमा त लेखीयो, बबाल सजीलो हुँदो रहेछ - अब नेपाली लेखेर हेरौं है, कत्तिको राम्ररी लेखिन्छ - भन्ने कुरा गर्ने हो भने तपाइँ मलाई भनी दिनुस कि यो गूगल को नयाँ सुविधा कत्तिको राम्रो लग्छ तपाइँलाई. फेरी पनि तिम्रो तस्बिर, आँखामा आयी दिन्छ अनी फेरी धुलो लागे जस्तो सारा हरायेर जान्छ - यो लेख्नु त majja po रहेछ - it's fun! देवनागरीमा ब्लग लेख्ने होइन त? सच्ची, यो एकदम सजीलो रहेछ - धन्यबाद ब्लगर! But it still needs refinements to be perfect.